Irfan-ul-Quran: - al-Mumtahinah (the Woman to be examined
(the Woman to be examined)
Sura : Madani
by Tilawat : 60
by Reveal : 91
Ruku` : 2
Ayats : 13
Part No. : 28
1. O believers! Do not make friends with My enemies and your enemies. You communicate to them information because of (your) friendship, whereas they just deny the very truth that has come to you. They drive out the Messenger (blessings and peace be upon him) and you (from your land) because you believe in Allah, your Sustainer. If you have set out to fight in My way and seek My pleasure (then do not have friendship with them). You send them secret messages of friendship whilst I know best what you hide and what you make known. And whoever of you does this (misdeed) has deviated from the straight path.
2. Should they get the better of you, then (you will see that) they will be your open enemies. And they will extend their hands and tongues to you with evil design and will have the earnest desire that you disbelieve (somehow).
3. Neither your (disbelieving and polytheist) kindred nor your (disbelieving and polytheist) children will be of any good to you on the Day of Resurrection. (On that Day Allah will) bring about complete separation between you (the believers will be sent to Paradise and the disbelievers to Hell). And Allah observes your doings well.
4. Indeed, in Ibrahim (Abraham) and his companions there is an excellent example for you (to follow), when they said to their people: ‘We are utterly weary of (and cut off from) you and the idols that you worship apart from Allah; we have openly rejected you all. The enmity, hatred and malice between us and you have become evident forever until you believe in Allah, the One.’ But Ibrahim’s (Abraham’s) saying to his (foster) father: ‘I shall certainly pray for your forgiveness,’ (was just a promise made to him well before, which he fulfilled and gave him a reminder as well saying:) ‘I do not possess anything for you before Allah (owing to your disbelief and idol-worship.’ Then he separated from his people, praying:) ‘O our Lord, we put our trust in You alone, and we turn in repentance to You alone, and (all) have to return to You alone.
5. O our Lord! Make us not a source of trial for the disbelievers (i.e., give them not control over us) and forgive us. O our Lord, surely You alone are the Almighty, the Lord of Honour, the Most Wise.’
6. Indeed, there is for you an excellent example in them (to follow), for him (in particular) who hopes (to appear before the presence of) Allah and looks forward to the Last Day. But whoever turns away, then Allah is Self-Sufficient and Praiseworthy.
7. It may be that Allah brings about friendship (at a later stage) between you and those of them who are now your foes. And Allah is All-Powerful and Most Forgiving, Ever-Merciful.
8. Allah does not forbid you to be good to them and treat them with equity and justice who did not fight against you on (the question of) Din (Religion), nor did they drive you out of your homes (i.e., homeland). Surely, Allah likes those who conduct themselves with equity and justice.
9. Allah only forbids you to befriend those who fought against you on (account of) the Din (Religion) and drove you out of your homes (i.e., homeland) and aided (your enemies) in expelling you. And whoever makes friends with them, it is they who are the wrongdoers.
10. O believers! When the believing women come to you as Emigrants, examine them thoroughly. Allah is Well Aware of (the reality of) their faith. Then if you find with certitude that they are true believers, do not send them back to the disbelievers. Neither are they (the believing women) lawful for those disbelievers, nor are those disbelievers lawful for these (believing women). And pay them (the disbelievers) back the money which they spent (on them as dower). And there is no sin on you if you marry them whilst you pay these (women) their dower. And, O believers, do not hold back the disbelieving women in (your) wedlock, and ask (the disbelievers) for that (money) which you spent (on those women as dower), and they (the disbelievers) may also ask you for that (money) which they spent (on these women as dower). That is the command of Allah. And He judges between you. And Allah is All-Knowing, Most Wise.
11. And if any of your wives deserts you and goes over to the disbelievers, then (when) you become dominant in war and gain spoils, pay (out of it) those whose wives deserted them as much (money) as they paid (to them as dower). And keep fearing Allah in Whom you believe.
12. O Prophet! When the believing women appear in your presence to take the oath of allegiance that they will not set up anything as partner with Allah and will not steal, nor will they commit adultery, or kill their children, or bring false blame which they have invented between their hands and feet (i.e., will not deceive their husbands declaring some other’s baby as their own), or disobey you in (any) matter pertaining to law, then accept their allegiance and seek forgiveness for them from Allah. Surely, Allah is Most Forgiving, Ever-Merciful.
13. O believers! Do not make friends with those on whom Allah has sent His wrath. Surely, they have despaired of the Hereafter as the disbelievers have despaired of those in graves.